Mizen Head Fog Signal Station was sanctioned in 1906 by the Irish Lights Board to combat the high loss of life and shipping on the rocks. Up until 1993 the Station was manned by three Keepers; however in April 1993 the Station was automated and in 1992 the Mizen Tourism Co-operative Society Ltd., a community rural development initiative, was formed to create a visitor attraction, 'Mizen Vision' within the former Keepers' Quarters.
At this stage the Path to the Bridge and the Signal Station was fenced and interpretive displays of the Light keepers' lives, the Fastnet Rock Lighthouse (15 km 9 m off shore) and the Mizen Environment were created in the former Keepers' Quarters and the Engine Room (so called for the three massive Generators, which were in use pre electricity days).
In 2001 with the aid of funding from Failte Ireland / ERDF (European Rural Development Fund), West Cork Leader, the National Millennium Fund (Exchequer funding), Cork County Council and a large loan from AIB the new facilities and display building, Mizen Head Visitor Centre, was opened.
From 2002 until 2007 a new section to the Visitor Centre above was built and the Signal Station was refurbished. This new section has a new upgraded Navigational Aids Simulator, Geological Display and the Mizen Tide Clock. Funding is through ERDF / Failte Ireland, Cork County Council, and a most generous local benefactor.
In addition to visiting the spectacular Mizen Head and the Mizen Head Visitor centre, there are many other areas of interest, activities and things to in West Cork
10 Useful Baltimore Links: