Towards the end of July 1847, Commander James Wolfe, R.N., informed the Ballast Board that he had recently completed a survey of Baltimore Harbour and noticed the destruction of the Beacon on the eastern point of the southern entrance to the harbour.
George Halpin, the Board's inspector was ordered to report the matter which he did the following month, stating that the original, locally built Beacon was two small, poorly built and had been vandalised. He recommended a large and properly constructed Beacon with which the Board concurred.
Almost a year passed, 6th July 1848, before the Board requested the secretary to seek permission from Lord Carbery for a piece of ground thirty feet in diameter, on which to build the Beacon. By the end of July a reply had been received from Mr. Arthur Perry-Aylmer informing the Board that Lady Carbery of Castle Freke near Rosscarbery had given her full permission to either rebuild or re-construct the existing Beacon and granted free access as the Beacon was a matter of such vast importance to fishermen and others.
By February 1849 inspector George Halpin reported that the masonry work of the Beacon was complete but the iron staff and vane still had to be placed on top.
The conspicuous conical white painted Baltimore Beacon, sometimes called the 'pillar of salt' or 'Lott's wife' is approximately fifty feet (15.2m) high and fifteen feet (4.6m) in diameter at the base. The vent, mentioned by Halpin in 1849 was obviously vulnerable and at a later date was replaced by a sphere.
In addition to enjoying the wonder of the Baltimore Beacon and enjoying the spectacular views from its location, there are many other areas of interest, activities and things to in West Cork
10 Useful Baltimore Links: